Entertaining clients, networking, socialising, lunch meetings whatever you want to call it, booze is usually involved.
It’s part of the game.
Getting to know people, the ice breaker, the universal language of alcohol.
Businesses are built on their ability to grow a network of clients, start joint ventures and use innovative new products and services. Even with the introduction of Skype chats, conference calls and FaceTime, nothing quite builds a relationship like a few glasses of wine and an informal chat.
So what’s the downside?
Well, drinking makes you fat, depressed and unhealthy. As we know, these aren’t beneficial to someone that is trying to work at an optimal level.
But how can I enjoy a drink, network and avoid these negative side effects?
The answer, you can’t. To gain optimal health you shouldn’t drink alcohol. But thats unrealistic right?
What you can do however, is minimise the bad parts of drinking. Follow my simple guidelines and you can drink, network, stay slim and keep working at an optimal level.
1. Stick to clear drinks. Vodka and gin are low calorie compared to beer and wine. Use a slimline mixer to keep the calories low.
2. Actually drink water. I have heard this said a thousand times and hardly anyone does it!
Ever get a thumping headache in the morning? That’s dehydration. When you order a drink at the bar, get a glass of tap water and down it.
3. Eat something. Eating a healthy meal before you go out will make a huge difference to how your body can manage the alcohol. I would recommend high protein, vegetables and rice.
4. Don’t drink too fast. I’m not sure about you, but I have been guilty in the past of drinking a little too quickly. Before you know it you’ve had 3 drinks, you feel a bit drunk and you have peaked too early.
Order a drink and take your time. Your liver can only process alcohol at a slow rate, chucking gallons of alcohol into your stomach (quickly) is a recipe for disaster.
5. Train the morning after. Get your trainers on a go for a jog, or hit a weights circuit. This will flush your system and help you to feel good quicker.
P.s. Drink water!!
by @camhartraining for BodyStudio